An introduction into how visualisation helps people interpret information. The difference between infographics and visualization, and between exploration and presentation. Design principles from user experience considerations, graphic design, and the study of the human visual system. Also, what is specific about visualization in journalism, as opposed to the many other fields that use it?
- Designing Data Visualizations, Noah Illinsky and Julie Steele, OReilly
- Computational Information Design chapters 1 and 2, Ben Fry
- Journalism in an age of data, Geoff McGhee
- Visualization Rhetoric: Framing Effects in Narrative Visualization, Hullman and Diakopolous
- Visualization, Tamara Munzner